Latest Calgary and Alberta Hearing Aid Technology
“Will it make me look old or disabled?”
That’s one of the questions our audiologists hear the most when fitting our Calgary patients for a hearing aid.
The short answer: No. Current audiology technology now offers a wide range of options to help with hearing loss. The days of ear trumpets, briefcase battery packs and gigantic beige ear plugs are long gone’97and good riddance. Today’s hearing aids are modern, sleek and do more than ever.
This is good news for everybody! Calgary hearing aid users report greater involvement in group activities, fewer worries and more positive social and family experiences than people with uncorrected hearing loss.
Types of Hearing Aids
Hearing aids vary in style, size, function and level of technology. We carry a wide array of customized hearing aids at each of our four Soundwave Hearing Care clinics across Alberta. Here’s a breakdown of some of the newest types.
– Receiver-in-Canal (RIC): Minimally invasive, open fit, sleek design, low profile.
– In-the-Ear (ITE): Robust, comfortable, easy to adjust, custom made.
– In-the-Canal (ITC): Less visible, variety of technology options, custom made.
– Completely-in-Canal (CIC): Virtually invisible, lightweight, custom made.
– Behind-the-Ear (BTE): Powerful, discreet, kid-friendly, links to Bluetooth.
Hearing Aid Enhancements
Today’s hearing aids are designed to suit your busy lifestyle. Their individualized technology is so advanced, even normal-hearing customers are using them.
– Wireless Media Streaming: Stream audio from your TV, stereo or computer directly into your hearing aid without additional hardware.
– FM System: Wireless system to boost speech clarity in noisy situations. Essential tool for students and professionals. Works with hearing aids or by themselves.
Hearing Aid Circuitry
Hearing aids use three main types of circuitry.
– Analogue/Programmable: Less expensive than digital, analogue offers customizable remote-controlled settings.
– Digital/Programmable: Computer-programmed technology that can be set to precisely match your hearing loss and response time.
– New-Generation Digital: Directional microphones and 16 bands minimize background noise and offer the most precision in sound quality and clarity.
Monaural Vs. Binaural Amplification
In some cases, monaural amplification (one ear) is best. For many people with hearing loss, binaural amplification (both ears) offers substantial improvement under both quiet and noisy conditions, along with a better sense of direction for locating sound sources. But we’ll work with you to individualize your unique hearing aid solution.
Soundwave Hearing Care clinics in Calgary and throughout Alberta create custom-molded hearing aids for patients of all ages’97even children. Our audiologists and hearing aid practitioners will balance your degree of hearing loss with your lifestyle, career goals, sound needs, personal style and budget.
Contact us at any of our four Alberta locations in Calgary, High River, Grand Prairie and Lethbridge to learn more about our state-of-the-art hearing aid and audiology solutions.